Unwelcome weeds can quickly spring up and ruin the landscaping plans you had for your lawn. While hand-pulling is an option for small patches, larger infestations call for chemical assistance. Misusing herbicides nonetheless poses risks, so understanding proper application methods is very helpful.
In this quick guide, we’ll discuss some effective yet safe techniques for eliminating pesky plants using solutions like Celsius WG herbicide.
Use a Reliable Choice Such as Celsius WG Herbicide
Celsius WG herbicide is well-suited for controlling over 150 types of broadleaf and grassy weeds without harming warm-season grasses. The liquid non-ionic formula is simple to mix and apply, providing reliable results when used as directed.
As one of the top-rated pre-emergent herbicides, Celsius WG is trusted by landscaping professionals and DIY lawn care enthusiasts alike to remove issues like dandelions, crabgrass, and more from Bermuda, zoysia, centipede, and St. Augustine lawns. For more information on this product, see the product page from our partner site.
Essential Application Dos
When eliminating stubborn plants, taking the time to properly prepare and apply herbicide makes all the difference. Here are some key dos:
- Carefully measure and mix the product according to package instructions. Underor over-applying can reduce effectiveness.
- Water the lawn 24 hours before and after application to allow the herbicide to penetrate soil and activate. Proper hydration of the lawn ensures maximum absorption of the chemicals.
- Spray on a calm, dry day to prevent drift. Avoid windy conditions that may scatter chemicals.
- Wear protective eye gear, long sleeves, and gloves to safeguard your health while spraying.
- Thoroughly clean application equipment afterward to remove residual herbicide.
- Spot-treat problem areas for targeted control versus a broadcast application. Spot-treating troublesome regions produces great results while saving chemical use.
- Reapply as needed to fully eliminate deep-rooted weeds and prevent new growth. In stubborn cases, a follow up application 2-3 weeks later can provide the extra coverage required to completely remove deep-burrowing weed roots.
Potential Don’ts to Avoid
While herbicide provides a convenient solution, not following procedures properly can compromise safety and results. Some missteps to sidestep include:
- Spraying near ponds, streams or on sidewalks/driveways where chemicals aren’t intended. Runoff risks contaminating water sources.
- Using an herbicide not approved for your grass type. Certain products may permanently damage lawns.
- Letting children or pets onto treated areas before the spray fully dries, usually within 24 hours.
- Applying within a day of expected rain to avoid waste and reduce risk of chemicals leaching into groundwater.
- Waiting too long between applications for seedling weeds, allowing them to mature and become harder to kill.
- Relying solely on herbicide without cultural practices like mowing, fertilizing, and reducing thatch buildup which enables weeds.
In Summary – Herbicide Dos and Don’ts
With diligent safety precautions and best practices, herbicide is a convenient tool for maintaining beautiful, healthy landscapes. By heeding these key dos and don’ts such as using Celsius WG herbicide, you can achieve effective weed control while preventing harm to the environment, property, or living creatures that come into contact with treated areas.