After all, which coloring defines a healthy and beautiful smile? A lot of people think of that white, bright smile like the celebrity ones. However, it is necessary to keep in mind that the natural color of the teeth can vary from person to person, that is, not always a darker shade means lack of oral health care, even because the tone of the tooth also differs with the comparison of skin tones.
This information is important because many patients imagine that — with dental whitening — the ideal is to achieve a color that is very close to white. Is this really the best result? Should we not exercise caution in this choice?
If you want to know more about it, come with us. In this post we will list what influences the natural tone of the smile, as well as the benefits and care that is needed when seeking treatment to whiten your teeth. Don’t miss it!
WHAT INFLUENCES THE NATURAL COLOR OF TEETH?
Our dentition can vary from the most pulled shade to white, passing through yellow and even a more grayish coloration.
What happens is that the natural color of the teeth can be influenced by genetics. What we mean is that if your parents and grandparents have a darkened smile, surely this feature will pass on to you. That is, this coloration of the teeth does not mean a sign of carelessness in these cases, but of genetic characteristics and skin tones of each individual.
For this reason, the color scale used in dentistry for the different treatments has four variations, which are:
- A — reddish-brown.
- B — reddish yellow.
- C – greyish.
- D — reddish grey.
What does not exist naturally is an extremely white smile, because this shade does not exist in human dentition. So even if you perform a treatment to whiten your teeth, you should be careful that you do not get an artificial result.
There are also external factors that also contribute to a change in the natural color of teeth. They are:
- smoking — Nicotine and other toxic substances in cigarettes adhering to the dental surface, causing their yellowing and weakening.
- use of medications — As is the case with some antihypertensives, antihistamines and antipsychotics.
- food — There are foods and drinks that pigment teeth, such as coffee, red wine, matte tea, cola-based soft drinks, tomato sauce, açaí, among others.
- bad hygiene — Can generate tartar, which occurs, when the plaque is not removed and becomes hardened, leaving the smile darker.
- oral health problems — The tooth may become darkened due to pulp necrosis or even due to some bleeding, cases in which the dentist should be sought immediately for an evaluation and to investigate this change in staining.
Another point we need to highlight is dental aging. With the passing of age it is normal that there is a wear on the enamel, which is the outermost layer of the tooth, which will change its coloration.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DENTAL WHITENING?
You’ve seen how several factors can alter the natural colour of teeth and influence the aesthetics of the smile. But it is a good thing that dentistry has the perfect treatment for these situations: dental bleaching.
The procedure, performed in the office is done with a tray, where a gel based on hydrogen peroxide is placed. It is a chemical that acts by breaking the pigment molecules of tooth enamel. To enhance the effects, the dentist can also use laser or LED light.
The result? Teeth with a lighter shade, but with a natural appearance.
The following are the benefits of this oral aesthetic treatment:
- quick procedure, because in a few sessions, you get a more beautiful smile.
- safety, since the dentist protects the gums and mucous membranes so as not to have contact with the bleaching gel, in order not to cause injury or sensitivity.
- painless technique, providing the patient to be comfortable during treatment.
- it results in a more harmonious smile, which rejuvenates the look.
- improves self-esteem, since the person is safer and more confident to smile and talk.
- high durability, as it can last from 1 to 3 years as long as the patient avoids smoking, some foods, and is careful with oral hygiene.
WHAT CARE DO I NEED TO TAKE WITH THIS PROCEDURE?
Dental whitening can improve the natural color of teeth, however, it is important that the patient takes some care before undergoing treatment.
First, it is necessary to seek a reference clinic, which has specialized dentists. Thus, the dentist will evaluate the patient’s request and give the necessary explanations to achieve the expected and successful treatment as choosing an ideal shade for your smile, considering the color of your teeth and even your skin tone. This is because an excessively white smile is not natural and can destose from its characteristics.
SENSITIVITY AND WEAKENING OF TEETH
Another issue is to perform the aesthetic procedure with a professional who knows how to use the appropriate dosage and the correct time of the bleaching gel. After all, it is a chemical that, in excess, can excessively wear the tooth enamel, drain to the gum, tongue and cheeks causing burns and too much sensitivity. In such a situation, the patient may suffer from dental sensitivity and weakening of the structure, as there is loss of calcium and phosphate, in addition to the bruises caused to the mucous membranes.
CONTRAINDICATIONS TO TREATMENT
Finally, it is also necessary to know that not all people can make a change in the natural colour of teeth with tooth whitening. This is because there are some contraindications to individuals, such as:
- pregnant women.
- children and adolescents.
- lactating women.
- patient with a history of periodontal disease.
- patients with dental hypersensitivity.
- patients with stained teeth due to the use of some antibiotics.
Now you already know how well-done tooth whitening can alter the natural color of teeth, leaving them looking harmonious, but not overly white. Therefore, to achieve a more beautiful smile and increase your self-esteem, always perform the treatment only with specialized and certified professionals.
Want to improve the tone of your teeth? Schedule an appointment with DC Dental – Dentist in Robina located at Suite 3, Riverwalk Place 238 Robina Town Centre Dr Robina QLD 4230 .