Chandan (as it is called in Hindi) or Sandalwood has been an integral part of our society for ages. Whether you want to praise someone’s beauty or create a spiritual atmosphere or any ritual, sandalwood is a treasured plant interwoven into the culture and heritage of India.
It has been considered sacred wood and its oil is valued in several religions including Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. Its enchanting aroma was highly valued in ancient medicine for its innumerable therapeutic properties.
Indus Valley is using this globally celebrated plant as a single ingredient for making their 100% Pure Sandalwood Essential Oil. Traditionally, it has been used in the making of incense, oils, medicines, perfumes, cosmetics, for aromatherapy, in the pharmaceutical industry, and for making a variety of handcrafted ornaments.
Its uses have been historically recorded for over 4,000 years for treating skin problems, common cold, digestive distress, acne, gonorrhea, liver problems, etc. making it one of the oldest-known materials to be used for various skin treatments. That’s why it finds a permanent place in our daily skincare routine.
Indus Valley is offering its versatile 100% Pure Sandalwood Essential Oil in its purest form. It is cold-pressed extracted from the heartwood (the central part of the tree) and the roots of the tree. The essential oil is obtained by steam distillation process without using any harmful chemicals like hexanes.
The best Sandalwood Essential Oil comes with a pale yellow to viscous liquid texture, with a sweet, persistent, spicy, warm, woody, and nutty fragrance. This 100% pure aromatic extract can be used for its therapeutic effects in Ayurvedic, Chinese, and Tibetan medicinal systems.
Indus Valley’s pure Sandalwood Essential Oil promotes healthy skin and better health. It holds many anti-aging and skin-healing secrets. Due to its cooling nature, it can be used in making herbal pastes for relief from sweating and works as an excellent remedy for sunburn and prickly heat.
It’s potent astringent, antiseptic, antimicrobial, anti-aging and disinfectant properties make the essential oil as one of the best oils to shield the skin against harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungal attacks. It is non-reactive to sensitive skin and therefore it’s completely safe to use in beauty treatments.
Being one of the best Sandalwood Essential Oil currently available in the market, it is highly sought after for restoring damaged skin cells, improving skin complexion, and maintaining skin glow and radiance. It also helps fade blemishes and scars and elevates the skin cell recovery system, leaving your skin delicate, smooth and youthful.
Sandalwood is the most commercially cultivated wood treasured for its intense fragrance. It is believed that sandalwood oil triggers the primary proteins found in the hair follicles known as keratin, which helps in stimulating hair growth.
The strong astringent property of sandalwood oil is effective in balancing out excess sebum secretion in the scalp, treats split ends, and enhances hair luster and growth. Pure and best Sandalwood Essential Oil also carries antibacterial properties that stop flaking, fortifies hair roots, and tightens the skin tissues treating dandruff and preventing hair fall.
In Ayurvedic medicine, sandalwood oil is considered to be beneficial in treating both physical and mental disorders. Several studies have suggested that sandalwood oil may help alleviate anxiety and promote healthier sleep patterns. Indus Valley’s 100% Pure Sandalwood Essential Oil is beneficial for both, emotional and physiological responses, as it controls both behavioral responses as well as balances emotions. Despite its calming effects, sandalwood oil appears to enhance mental alertness. It is believed that the scent of sandalwood has the ability to promote mental clarity.
Useful properties of sandalwood essential oil
Sandalwood oil is one of the most expensive essential oils available on the market. The highest quality sandalwood is an Indian variety known as Santalum album . To get the most out of the oil, sandalwood must be at least 40 to 80 years old.
It is known for its woody, sweet scent. Sandalwood oil is a part of religious traditions in India and other eastern countries. The tree itself is considered sacred and is used for various religious ceremonies.
1. Anti-aging effect. Sandalwood contains many antioxidants that can help reduce the damage done by free radicals that contribute to aging. According to the scientific review “Sandalwood oil as a botanical therapeutic in dermatology” published in 2017, clinical trials revealed the ability of sandalwood oil to help naturally improve skin condition.
2. Clarity of mind. Sandalwood oil promotes mental clarity when used in aromatherapy or as a fragrance. This is why it is often used for meditation and other spiritual rituals. A study published in the international journal Planta Medica found that the main sandalwood compound, alpha-santalol , sharpens attention. And lets you stay calm.
3. Calmness. Along with lavender and chamomile, sandalwood usually makes the list of oils used in aromatherapy to relieve anxiety, stress, and depression.
4. Weight control. Sandalwood oil can help if you overeat when you’re nervous. Anuj Watts, nutritionist (India):
“Sandalwood essential oil helps eaters of emotion by suppressing negativity and creating a sense of calm. Its woody scent has natural healing effects on the limbic system. This part of the brain is responsible for controlling emotions such as pleasure, strength and hunger.”
5. Natural aphrodisiac. Ayurvedic medicine practitioners traditionally use sandalwood as an aphrodisiac. Since it is a natural substance that can enhance sex drive, sandalwood helps to increase libido.
6. Antiviral and antiseptic properties. Sandalwood is an excellent antiviral agent. It has been found to be useful in preventing the replication of common viruses such as herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2.
7. Oxygen supply. Sandalwood oil also contains sesquiterpenes , a natural chemical known for its health and wellness properties. Besides the fact that sesquiterpenes are antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agents, they stimulate the work of the glands and are able to go beyond the blood-brain barrier. This means they can increase the supply of oxygen to the brain.
How to Use
- Wash your face first before applying the oil.
- Mix a few drops of Indus Valley 100% Pure Sandalwood Essential Oil with any Indus Valley carrier oil.
- Apply it gently on your face.
- The essential oil can be also used in an aroma diffuser.
- For lessening strain and balancing your emotions, use one to two drops of Indus Valley’s Sandalwood Essential Oil on your palm. Then cup it around your nose and breathe in the aroma for as long as 30 seconds.
- Do you have an issue that you would like to discuss with our health experts? Connect with us through your comments below.