The Internet has become an essential part of our daily life. We use it in our daily life at work and in our social life. Because it takes up so much space, it is critical to understand how to safeguard your internet connection. VPNs are one of the first options that spring to mind when thinking about cyber security measures. VPNs disguise or modify your IP address while also encrypting your actions in the online environment. On the other hand, an Internet Protocol address is a numerical designation distinct to each endpoint with internet access.
Since it is a one-of-a-kind label, malevolent actors, governments, and IPSs may trace your online activities, physical location, and online conduct. However, you may avoid this form of tracking by utilizing a VPN or other IP address types. In this post, we will discuss three distinct types of IP addresses, and their pros and downsides. But first, let’s define IP address.
Concept of Internet Protocol Address
Internet Protocol Address — IP address is a distinctive identifier appointed to endpoints linked to a computing network system that communicates by utilizing Internet Protocol. The Internet Protocol, on the other hand, is a set of regulations that governs the type of packets and information transferred using the web or private networks. These distinctive identifiers are used to identify specific network endpoints. It also facilitates the establishment of a virtual connection between an endpoint and a resource.
Despite their appearance, they are generated and appointed to users by The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), a part of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers. These distinctive identifiers are made up of four numbers divided into four sections. Each integer in the series can have a value between 0 and 255.
Each endpoint must have an IP address to be able to establish a connection with the servers. So data packets received from the web server arrive at your endpoint rather than being forwarded to another endpoint. Your IP address exposes not just your region, but also your particular city or location. It also displays your ISP and other connection-related information.
Internet Protocol Address Variations
There are several sorts of IP addresses that may be used for various reasons. Users can utilize these distinctive identifiers for e-mail marketing, secure remote working, or just for personal use. They all have different advantages as well as disadvantages. However, encrypting your online activity enhances both physical and digital security.
Dedicated IP Address
A dedicated IP address is a distinctive and discrete IP address exclusively appointed to a particular individual or endpoint. This means the issued address can not be used by any other user. Also, you will be able to use the same address whenever you connect to the internet when using this type of address. Dedicated IP addresses are beneficial for online apps and services that limit access to distinct IP addresses. For example, this form of IP may be quite beneficial to businesses with remote workers.
Companies can limit connection privileges to confidential and other business data to those who have access to the corporate network using a dedicated IP address VPN. There are other benefits including:
- Reduced DNSBL Risk: If you utilize this particular type of address, your IP will not be blacklisted unless you do anything detrimental.
- Safe and Fast File Transfer: Companies may create a file transfer protocol (FTP) server with this particular type of address to exchange data within an enterprise.
- Enhanced Security: If a company has a security breach, it can easily identify the issue account since each employee is allocated a unique IP address.
- Secure Remote Access: A dedicated IP address enables employees to safely access business resources.
A shared IP address is an internet protocol (IP) address administered to an internet site or hosting account that is shared by multiple domains or internet sites. It is generally used by small businesses or newly established ones because it is a cost-efficient solution. Instead of a dedicated or fixed IP address, all data received at a shared IP address is routed via the same server. Users can shift their geo-locations if they utilize this type of IP to preserve their security level.
The actions of a single internet site owner might have an impact on other internet sites when you utilize a shared IP address. Even though it is a cost-efficient solution it has some disadvantages such as no reputation control and low sender volume. However, cost-effectiveness is not the sole advantage of a shared IP address. Users can benefit from the following:
- Enhanced Privacy: Shared IP addresses do not reveal your precise geo-location to others.
- Ease of Use: Users of shared hosting get access to pre-loaded software for use on their internet site or company.
- Established and Consistent Volume: Users may effortlessly maintain a regular volume with the ISPs using formerly established volume.
- Increased Reputation: New enterprises might profit from the strong reputation of older users that share the same IP address.
Dynamic IP Address
As you can understand from its name, this address type is a transitory identifier appointed to endpoints linked to different networks that constantly alter. A DHCP server appoints this form of IP address that may vary. It is the most prevalent form of IP address. Dynamic IP addresses are only operational for a short period before their expiration date. The endpoint will either dynamically demand or obtain a new IP address.
Typically, major corporations and businesses do not choose to utilize dynamic IP addresses. For personal use, this particular type of address is usually recommended and your home or workplace internet connection will most likely be appointed with a dynamic IP address. Utilizing a dynamic IP address has benefits including:
- Low Cost: When compared to the other types, Dynamic IP Address is a rather low-cost solution.
- Enhanced Security: Because dynamic IP allocates various addresses regularly, it improves security.
- Flexibility: If an endpoint with a dynamic IP address often disconnects, the identifier might be reused by another endpoint.
- Easy and Automatic Configuration: The DHCP server handles the full dynamic IP address setting.
As We Close
Internet access and how secure it is plays a significant role in our daily lives. Malicious actors can learn a lot by simply tracking your activity. That is why encrypting this increases your overall cyber security. Furthermore, you can accomplish this simply by using a VPN. Choosing from the options listed above completely depends on your needs. Still, using the right one can provide you peace of mind and you can enjoy your online time without worrying if you are being tracked.