Are you suffering from gallstones and facing difficulties to perform your daily activities due to symptoms like pain in the right shoulder, back pain between the shoulder blades, sudden and rapid intense pain in the center of the abdomen and just below the breastbone? If so, your doctor can recommend undergoing gallstone removal surgery or gallbladder removal surgery.
However, before undergoing the surgery, you may have few questions that need to be answered. So, here you can find the answers for the top 10 frequently asked questions related to gallstone removal surgery.
- Are gallstones and kidney stones the same?
Gallstones and kidney stones are not the same as they develop or form in different organs, gallbladder, and kidney. Gallstones are hard deposits of bile and can range from the size of a grain of sand to as large as a golf ball. Kidney stones are solid masses that are made up of tiny crystals from calcium, uric acid, and oxalate.
- Are gallstones painful?
Gallstones usually do not cause any signs and symptoms. But, a few individuals can suffer from rapid, sudden, severe, and intense abdominal pain. This pain can be felt at the center of the abdomen and can spread to the shoulder blade.
- Are my gallstones hereditary?
A few clinical studies have mentioned that about 25% of patients with cholesterol gallstones are to be hereditary. And there is no evidence whether the pigment gallstones are hereditary or not. However, consult with the best and well experienced to know whether your gallstones are hereditary or not.
- What happens if I avoid gallstone removal surgery?
If you avoid or delay the gallstone treatment, you are at higher risk for developing some serious medical conditions like cholecystitis [inflammation of the gallbladder], pancreatitis [inflammation of pancreas], sepsis, etc. Moreover, they might trigger the risk of gallbladder cancer shortly. Hence, it is advised not to delay or avoid the treatment for gallstones.
- Can gallstone removal cause liver problems?
Gallstone removal surgery or gallbladder removal surgery can cause secondary biliary cirrhosis where inflammation and destruction of bile ducts in the liver occur due to autoimmune disease. This can happen if the ducts are inadvertently tied off or injured.
- Can gallstone removal surgery cause vitamin-D deficiency?
Undergoing gallstone removal surgery can cause a depletion in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins like Vitamin-D, vitamin-E, vitamin-A, and vitamin-K. As a result of this, one can suffer from vitamin, A, D, E, and K deficiency. To undergo the safest gallstone removal surgery, you can visit Pristyn Care.
- How long does it take to complete gallstone removal surgery?
Generally, doctors can complete gallstone removal surgery within 30-90 minutes. However, this duration can vary depending on factors like:
- The size and shape of the gallstones
- Any allergic reaction to the anesthesia used before the surgery
- Overall health condition of the patient
- Type of gallstone removal surgery performed [laparoscopic or open surgery]
- Presence of any underlying blood disease or disorders
- What are the risks and complications of gallstone removal surgery?
As every medical surgery involves a few risks, complications, and benefits, below are some of the risks and complications that are associated with gallstone removal surgery.
- Infection at the site of the surgery
- Formation of blood clots
- Heart problems
- Rarely, allergic reaction to anesthesia
Although, the chances of occurrence of these risks and complications are very less. If you are planning to undergo the best and safest gallstone removal, visit Pristyn Care.
- What is the success rate of gallstone removal surgery?
Several clinical studies and medical research articles have stated that the success rate of gallstone removal surgery or gallbladder removal surgery can range between 90% to 95%. However, it can depend on factors like:
- Severity and complexity of the gallstones
- Type of the surgery planned to perform [laparoscopic surgery or open surgery]
- Age of the patient
- Overall health condition of the patient
- Size and shape of the gallstones
- Any underlying liver disease or gallbladder disease
- What are the best food items to eat when I have gallstones?
In case you have gallstones, your doctor can recommend intake of the following food items as they can help in reducing the size of gallstones and can push them out of the body.
- Bran cereal
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Low-fat dairy products
- Brown rice
- Whole-wheat bread
If you are diagnosed with gallstones and are planning to undergo a gallstone removal surgery, have a private consultation with your doctor and discuss all your doubts about the surgery. And also, have a discussion regarding the benefits, advantages, risks, complications, outcomes, and long-term effects of gallstone removal surgery. In addition, you can ask your doctor, whether a laparoscopic gallstone removal surgery or open gallstone removal surgery will be performed and what is post-surgical care to be taken.
In case you are planning to undergo the best and safest laparoscopic gallstone treatment in Gurgaon, you can visit Pristyn Care. At Pristyn Care all the medical professionals use advanced and latest medical devices and diagnostic tools to minimize the risk of infection and reduce the chances of occurrence of risks and complications.