If you try to move to multi-user mode of QuickBooks you will often face QuickBooks Error Code H202. Now in this article, we will guide you to solve it.
Either its accountancy related or tax-related, QuickBooks has made entire record-related tasks simpler. Unarguably, it is one of the most critical parts of the bookkeeping process. It has the ability to perform different errands efficiently and briskly.
Similar to other software, QuickBooks is also subject to encounter some unrecovered errors. One such very similar error that users generally face is error h202.
So, let us explore this error in detail.
Know about QuickBooks Error H202
The error H202 commonly occurs when a user is trying to access a multi-user operational mode. On a multi-user network, company files are stored on a server computer. The other computers connected to the network are termed workstations. So, whenever a workstation user is trying to access files available on another computer, it leads to error code H202. This implies that either the server cannot reach or has blocked multi-user connection.
Reasons For QuickBooks Error H202
Now it is clear that QuickBooks error code h202 occurs on account of failure to create a connection between server and workstations. Several reasons responsible for this issue include:
- Wrong hosting configuration settings.
- A skirmish with DNS server.
- QuickBooks cannot find the IP address of the host system or server on which company files are hosted.
- QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor Internal QuickBooks services aren’t operating on the server computer.
- The network data file is either corrupt or damaged.
- The firewall is restricting powerful correspondence with or near the affiliation report.
Fixing of QuickBooks Error H202
Solution 1: Verify the Hosting Process
As this error occurs in a multi-user environment where the server machine acts as a host, you need to ensure that only one PC has the hosting option enabled. To do this, follow the steps given below:
- Open QuickBooks.
- Go to File and select Utilities.
- Locate the Host Multi-user Access option on the list. If you can see this option, don’t change anything, it indicates that this particular PC is not hosting the company file.
- Alternatively, if you see the option Stop Hosting Multi-user Access, select it to disable this computer from being the host system.
- Repeat this process on all computers except the host machine.
Solution 2: Check the Services on your Server
To ensure all QuickBooks services are running on server computer follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open Windows search bar and type run.
- In the Run window, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
- Then in the Services window, locate QuickBooksDBXX and double click to open it.
- A QuickBooksDBXX Properties window will pop up. From it, select Automatic as the Startup Type.
- Next, set Service Status to either Running or Started.
- Then, go to the Recovery tab.
- From it select Restart the Service from all three drop-down menus as well as in subsequent ones.
- To save changes, select Apply ? OK.
- Follow the same procedure for setting up QBCFMonitorService.
Once this process is executed, launch QuickBooks on all workstations. Go to the File menu and select the Switch to Multi-user option. If everything is accessible and can open correctly then you can rest assured that the error has been fixed.
Solution 3: Editing the Host File on Windows
To implement this solution, you are required to log in your Windows as an administrator.
- Go to server PC.
- Press Windows +R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type cmd and hit Enter to open Command Prompt Window.
- Then, type ipconfig/all and click Enter to execute this command.
- Check Hostname (computer name) and IP address (IP address or IP Address v4). Repeat this process on all workstations. Note down this data for further info.
Next, you need to perform the edit for the Windows Hosts file.
- Close QuickBooks.
- Go to Start menu ? This PC.
- After this navigate to address:
If you cannot find the Windows folder in This PC? Local Disk C, then enable the option to view hidden files by following the steps given below:
- In the File Explorer, select View ? then Hidden items checkbox. This will open all hidden files.
- Right-click on the Hosts file in the folder. Then, choose Open with and open file with Notepad.
- Enter IP address and computer name
Check Out: How to use QuickBooks Online for Accounting
In server enter workstation IP and computer name. And in the workstation enter server IP and computer name. While doing this, use the Tab key to separate IP address and computer name.
After this process is completed, apply changes and reopen QuickBooks on a multi-user network.
If none of these solutions work and the problem persists even after this, then we recommend you to contact the QuickBooks customer support team for assistance.