Ketoconazole shampoo is used to get rid of dandruff by treating problems such as flaking, itching, and scaling. This shampoo functions in a way where it fights with the ingrowing fungus. Additionally, it is beneficial in treating many harmful hair-related infections like ‘Pityriasis’ which tends to cause our neck, chest, arms, or legs to brighten excessively or darken too much.
Uses and Benefits of Ketoconazole shampoo
Since Ketoconazole shampoo consists of various medicated elements, so it is used to treat various infections and conditions such as:
- Dandruff treatment Ketoconazole shampoo is used to treat dandruff effectively if used adequately and as per the suggested amount.
- Treatment of seborrheic dermatiti It is used to get rid of a condition known as seborrheic dermatitis, which happens to cause flaking of skin.
- Treatment of Tinea Manuum Tinea Manuum is a fungal infection of the skin on the hands. This infection affects the scalp if not treated on time. The ketoconazole cream is used for the treatment of the same.
- Dry scalp treatment The ketoconazole shampoo can help in treating dry scalp and reducing the flakiness emerging from the same.
- Reduce itchiness Ketoconazole shampoo can help with an itchy scalp along with other benefits that it provides.
- Might aid in preventing hair loss Although the complete evidence for this one is yet to be found, in a study, it was found that Ketoconazole shampoo helps in hair growth.
How does the ketoconazole shampoo works?
Ketoconazole mostly comes in the form of a cream, ointment, or shampoo for the hair in order to treat various problems like itching, redness, flaking of the skin, etc. Ketoconazole comes under the family of antifungal meds known as ‘imidazoles’. Imidazoles aim to slow the growth of the fungi that are responsible for causing the flaking of the skin and discolouration of the scalp. It does not absorb the fungi internally, but it fights it. You should always consult the dermatologist before buying the ketoconazole shampoo for the respective condition.
Risks on using the shampoo
Even though ketoconazole shampoo is full of benefits, but a coin always has two sides, and so does this shampoo. There are many side effects that come attached to ketoconazole shampoo that one should always take care of in order to avoid complications in the future.
- Ketoconazole shampoo tends to cause oiliness or dryness of the hair by affecting the scalp.
- People might experience uneven skin texture and also discolouration in some cases.
- At times it may also make the permed hair lose its curls.
- It is not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women, and they should always consult their doctor before using this shampoo as it has proved to be harmful to them.
How to identify allergic reactions, if they occur
Allergic reactions are observed very rarely on using this shampoo, but if they are, then here are some ways by which these can be identified beforehand:
- Experiencing severe itching
- Experiencing difficulty in breathing
- Experiencing dizziness
- Visible rashes
- Visible swelling of face, throat, or tongue
How to use Ketoconazole shampoo?
The shampoo should be used as directed by the doctor. The shampoo should be applied directly to the scalp so that it reaches deep into the roots of the scalp. It should be left on the head for five minutes before washing it off. It is mainly used like any other shampoo but considering the concentrations in which one can use the shampoo, a few instructions would be helpful.
When you use 1% of the ketoconazole shampoo:
- Firstly one should wet their hair completely
- Then, they should apply the shampoo and wait for the lather to form.
- Finally, the shampoo should be rinsed off and washed with water.
When you use 2% of the ketoconazole shampoo
- Firstly, one should wet that particular area of their head where they wish to apply the shampoo.
- Then, they should apply the shampoo to the particular area and rinse it well so that it forms lather.
- Wait for 5 minutes, and then wash it off.
Who can use Ketoconazole shampoo?
You should consult a dermatologist before using this shampoo. If allergic to ketoconazole, then you should altogether avoid using the shampoo. You should safely use shampoo for its mentioned uses. If you experience side effects or other visible marks during the initial use of the shampoo, then they should immediately stop using it. In case, the reaction spreads more, you should always consult the doctor.
Ketoconazole shampoo should be used in prescribed amounts as told by your doctor. It should never be used carelessly. If used correctly and in adequate amounts, then one can begin to see results very soon in 4-5 weeks. If there are no changes, then you should definitely contact your doctor to get a consultation for the same. Only 2% usage is advised and overdosage of the same might result in various problems.