With over 500 million products and 197 million monthly users, Amazon.com has proven to be one of the biggest eCommerce powerhouses of the decade, and they’re still on the rise. For many small businesses, selling their wares on Amazon may be the easiest way to get introduced to a wide audience, as opposed to setting up an independent store.
However, you can’t expect instant success just by posting your products on Amazon. You also need to implement a solid strategy so your listings show up first on Amazon’s search results. You have thousands of competitors on this platform, and you must work hard to ensure you stand above them. Part of that is ensuring your product descriptions are optimized for Amazon search engine optimization (SEO).
Many Amazon marketing experts agree that your product description can make or break your business. A good description not only improves conversions, but also boosts you on the search results pages, and helps users build an accurate expectation of the product.
But how does one write a good Amazon product description? In this article, we’ll guide you through a few easy steps.
1. Perform competitor analysis
Checking how your better-performing competitors write their product titles and descriptions provides you a starting point for your product titles and descriptions. What words are they using? How do they format their descriptions? How long are they? By taking what has worked for other sellers in your niche, it saves you from having to start from scratch.
2. Include only relevant information
Your product description is where users can get answers to any questions they may have regarding your product, and this will help them decide whether they should buy from you or not. The information you should include in your description varies from product to product. Clothes, for example, need to have the fabric blend and size chart listed. Food and cosmetics need a full ingredient list for those with allergies. Gadgets like laptops, smartphones, and cameras need a full range of technical specs included in the product description. Take your consumers’ possible questions into account when drafting your product description.
Your product description is not the place for company information and history. Unless you feel that adding that information may help convert users (i.e. if you’re promoting an advocacy or if some of the profit will go to a charity) it’s best to stick to the product. Leave the extras for your company’s Amazon profile.
- Cure Cancer by Immunotherapy
- Energy Crisis : Causes, Effects and Solutions
- Top 10 Natural Organic Face Packs
3. Choose the best keywords
One of the cornerstones of Amazon marketing is keyword research. Knowing which keywords to use no your product title and description can help boost your Amazon SEO efforts. When you know your customers’ search habits, you can address their needs better.
Here are a few ways you can determine the best keywords to use:
- Look at the keyword suggestions on the Amazon search bar. This is practically a free Amazon keyword research tool, and with this, you can determine what keywords users tend to search for the most.
- Use a keyword research tool. While the Amazon search bar is sufficient for developing your initial list of keywords, a keyword research tool provides more in-depth and valuable data on the search volume of these keywords. It can also help you find low search volume but high purchase intent keywords. Most high search volume keywords face a lot of competition, so you may want to start with less competitive keywords.
- Try keyword variations. Instead of focusing on one keyword, incorporate variants of that keyword across your product description. For example, instead of only using workout leggings, you can use variants like yoga pants or gym leggings. This increases the chances that your listing will match with other relevant searches. This also keeps your description from sounding repetitive.
- Update your list often. Keywords aren’t static. Sometimes terminologies or user search habits change. An effective keyword strategy involves refreshing your keyword list at least once every few months.
4. Focus on the benefits
While it’s important to tell your users how your product works, it’s more important to emphasize how it can make their lives better. Whatever product you’re offering, there may be countless variants from other sellers. Why should the user buy your product? Does it have any features that make it more convenient to use? Is it targeted towards a specific consumer base? An example of this is Nubian Skin, a lingerie brand that makes nude underwear for a wide range of skin tones. Countless sellers offer lingerie, but Nubian Skin makes sure to emphasize that they can cater to various body types and skin tones.
5. Use formatting tools to break up long paragraphs
Users aren’t fond of huge blocks of text. As a solution, you can list product features using bullet points and tables instead of paragraphs. You can also use images to break up long text and supplement the information you provided. This improves readability and increases the chances of catching user attention and relaying your message more effectively.
6. Write for your buyers
Remember that the product description is for the benefit of potential buyers, so it’s no use if the buyers can’t even understand what you’re saying. Unless your target audience is well-versed in technical terms, use simple and accessible language. Too many unfamiliar buzzwords will only alienate potential customers and move them to purchase from other sellers.
7. Test out different versions of product descriptions
Writing optimized product descriptions isn’t an exact science. You may need to do some trial-and-error to determine how to best write product descriptions that suit your target audience. Use analytics tools to help you understand user responses to various product description writing styles and layouts. Take this data into account when editing your product description until you find the ideal combination.
It may be daunting to think of all the competition you’ll face when selling on Amazon, but by adopting effective Amazon marketing strategies, your business will surely thrive. The secret to success is learning how to best address consumer needs and constantly monitoring your analytics to know how you can improve your campaign.