Immigrants who have a British citizen or permanent resident fiance and want to marry or form a civil partnership in the UK may apply for a Fiance Visa and then change to a Spouse Visa after the wedding, or civil partnership has taken place. If you need help with a UK Fiance Visa, call your Immigration lawyer London.

On that note, here’s everything you need to know about a Fiance visa with British citizenship.

What You Need to Know about a UK Fiancé Visa

The UK Fiance Visa is the most suitable immigration route for non-British citizenship if they want to marry a British citizen or someone with a Settled Status in the UK.

Your fiancé visa will allow you to enter and remain in the United Kingdom for six months. You and your partner must tie the knot within this time range of six months. To be eligible, you must show that you have satisfied a long list of conditions, including an intention to reside with your fiancée.

After marriage, you may transfer to a UK Spouse Visa and continue your residence in the UK. You and your spouse may stay in the UK for up to 30 months if you have a Spouse Visa. After waiting 12 months, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and then, after another 30 months, for British citizenship.

Warning: getting married on a regular UK Visit Visa is possible within the allotted time frame. If you use this visa to visit the United Kingdom solely to arrange a wedding, you will not be able to return to the country to wed your fiance without first obtaining a separate UK Fiancé Visa.

However, a particular Marriage Visitor Visa route would let you and your spouse enter the UK for six months only for marriage reasons if that is your intention.

Nevertheless, enter the UK on a Marriage Visitor Visa. You will not be eligible to change to a Fiance Visa UK, Spouse or Civil Partner Visa, or any other kind of immigration clearance while you are already in the country. You cannot use a Visitor visa to remain in the UK after getting married.


To apply for a UK Fiancé Visa, you must complete the form in Appendix FM and prove that you satisfy all of the visa’s conditions by compiling a lengthy packet of documentation to support your assertions.

This often entails ensuring both parties are of legal marriageable age, providing evidence of a real connection, demonstrating financial stability, and having met at least once. You must ensure that you meet the visa requirements and intend to live in the UK without relying on public funds. The essential requirements for the UK Fiancé Visa are as follows:

  • Both you and your companion must be above the age of 18.
  • A commitment to be wedded within the first six months of your arrival in the UK is required.
  • Your partner’s British citizenship or permanent UK residency is required for them to sponsor your immigration application.
  • The minimum annual income of your “Sponsor” must be £18,600, or you must meet the criteria via other methods.
  • Before engaging in a marriage or civil union, both parties should intend to make the other’s company their permanent home.
  • You and your partner must have a place to live in the UK, ready for your arrival. You must be in a genuine relationship and have evidence of having met at least once.

Financial Requirement

As a temporary visitor to the UK, you are not eligible for welfare while your visa is in this category. No British employer will hire you, so you may forget about entering the workforce.

As such, you’ll need proof that you’ll have sufficient funds to last six months in the nation without taking a job or receiving government assistance.

Therefore, your prospective fiancée or civil partner must earn at least £18,600 a year. This sum increases to £2,400 for each kid accompanying you to the United Kingdom. Any one or more of the following will suffice to satisfy the minimum income requirement:

  • Having a steady income, whether from an employer or your efforts,
  • Benefits for retirees
  • Medical leave, parental leave, and adoption compensation as required by law
  • shares or stocks
  • Rental property

You and your spouse can always dip into savings if that isn’t possible. As the ‘sponsor’ of your visa for immigration reasons, your UK fiancée must fulfill this condition on your behalf if you want to apply for a UK Fiancé Visa.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here