Trauma, burns, cancer surgery, and diseases may all impact the face’s look and function. Damage to the face’s bones and soft tissues might impair one’s ability to blink, smile, communicate, or eat.
This can take a toll on your self-confidence and self-image. It makes you conscious of the way you look.
A plastic surgeon can help you in such cases with the help of facial reconstruction surgery. In this article, Dr. Leena Jain, a plastic surgeon in Borivali, discusses facial reconstruction surgery.
What is Facial Reconstruction Surgery?
A plastic surgeon might employ tissues from the patient’s body to rebuild facial structures, such as a microvascular free tissue transfer or “free flap,” in which the surgeon removes skin, muscle, or bone from one portion of the patient’s body to reconstruct new facial characteristics.
Plastic surgeons can remodel facial components to improve function and make people feel more confident about their looks.
If you want facial reconstructive surgery, you can visit Dr. Leena Jain, a plastic surgeon in Borivali. She has over 7 years of experience as a plastic surgeon in Borivali, treating patients needing reconstructive surgery. She is an expert in this field.
Types of Facial Reconstructive Surgery
Following are the different types of facial reconstructive surgery according to Dr. Leena:
- Cleft lip and Palate repair
- Congenital disabilities on the head or face (craniofacial anomalies)
- Accidental trauma
- Burn injuries
- Ear reconstruction
- Animal bites
- Facial soft tissue injuries
- Facial fractures
- Scar treatment
Facial reconstruction surgery can help you in many ways, says Dr. Leena Jain, the plastic surgeon in Borivali.
Following are the advantages of facial reconstruction surgery:
- It can help in the removal of scars and other signs of trauma
- It improves your appearance
- The surgery helps improve your self-confidence and self-image
- It helps improve your ability to drink, eat, and speak
- It helps in the improvement of facial expressions
- Provides an improved quality of life
- Facial reconstruction surgeries generally occur inside a hospital or your plastic surgeon’s clinic.
- Before your surgery, your plastic surgeon will thoroughly check your medical history.
- They will examine your condition and decide whether to use your tissue to reconstruct a specific area or whether an implant or prosthetic is more suitable.
- Implants and prosthetic devices can assist restore more natural-looking curves and characteristics if using your tissue is not viable.
- You will be given anesthesia before the surgery.
- Many facial injuries are so severe that a person may need to repair a facial bone fracture. Repairing facial bones can improve the function and form of the face.
- The surgeon stabilizes the face structure with a plate and screws fixation and may cut the tissues, blood vessels, nerves, and facial bones using several surgical procedures.
- To ensure success, the small blood vessels of the transplanted tissue must be appropriately linked to new vessels during this surgery.
- In many circumstances, post-traumatic surgery can assist in rectifying and improving the condition of your bone asymmetric and your bite is off. Other body regions might be donor locations for giving bones and tissues.
- In most circumstances, such a surgery takes four to twelve hours and, in other cases, more prolonged, depending on the case’s complexity.
Precautions after the surgery
It is essential to follow your doctor’s advice after the surgery. They will tell you how to take care of your area of surgery.
The recovery time depends on the damage done to the face, your age and general health, and the techniques used by your plastic surgeon.
Your plastic surgeon will try to find a way to minimize the appearance of your scars as much as possible. Most visible scars will heal after a specific time and look like thin lines that might be darker or lighter than the skin surrounding them.
It is vital to:
- Avoid specific conditions that your surgeon tells you to avoid
- Let your plastic surgeon know if any issue occurs during your recovery, like pain or swelling in the area of surgery
- Keeping up with your follow-up appointments
A visible trauma or injury to the face can take a toll on your confidence. It might also affect the regular functions like eating, drinking, or speaking.
To help in this, you can look at facial reconstruction surgery as an option. It is essential to seek a good plastic surgeon to assist you in this situation.
If you live in Mumbai, you can visit Dr. Leena Jain, a plastic surgeon in Borivali, for the help associated with facial reconstruction surgery.Please Share it to everyone: