Most of you who use beauty products or beauty creams for skin must have come across the word cocoa butter in the ingredient list. Have you ever thought about why cocoa butter is so popular? Why people use cocoa butter for the face? And specifically why people use cocoa butter for acne scars? Today we will discuss all these.
A pimple scar is always annoying. And people have to go through so many hard and fast rules. Yet, pimple scars do not go away. And using any chemical product directly on your skin is not safe. So, we always try to find any way to prevent pimples naturally at home. Cocoa butter can be a great add-on to this list.
It is because cocoa butter has great properties for skin care and hair care. And today in this article we will specifically discuss on how we can use cocoa butter for acne scars and other skin benefits. At the end of this discussion, we will recommend some of the most popular cocoa butter for acne scars and other facial purposes.
As we are going to talk about the benefits of cocoa butter for skin and specific usage of cocoa butter for acne scars, at first we have to know about cocoa butter. At least then we will be able to understand its composition and why it is so useful.
In the later part of the article, we will also discuss if there is any contradiction with the usage of cocoa butter for acne scars or other skin issues. So let’s start today’s discussion with what is cocoa butter.
What is Cocoa Butter?
Cocoa Butter is also known as Theobroma oil is extracted from cocoa beans which are grown in the American region. This is the fat that is stripped from the cocoa bean. Rife with antioxidants and emollients, cocoa butter is highly beneficial for the skin.
When the cocoa seeds are dried and pressed the vegetable fat from the cocoa seeds is extracted before further use. This fat is known as cocoa butter and the rest is used as cocoa powder.
Cocoa butter is rich in fatty acids which hydrate your skin and hair. The positive side of this butter is that the fats it contains are plant-based. And so it can be used as a moisturizing cream directly or by processing with other beneficial ingredients.
Cocoa butter is a natural fat that does not contain any additives. Cocoa butter does not have a long history. It is genuinely a new product which has gathered huge popularity in a short period of time. It first came to light in the 19th century. But the use of cocoa butter for acne scars was invented by dermatologists in the following years.Buy Now on Amazon
If you buy unrefined cocoa butter, you will a soft smell of chocolate in it. It will have a light yellow colour, milky aroma with some chocolate hint.
Properties of cocoa butter
- Cocoa butter is solid in room temperature and it is whitish in colour.
- It is brittle at room temperature.
- Heating cocoa butter to 30-35 degrees completely softens it.
- These properties make cocoa butter easy to store and transport.
- Aromatic cocoa butter has a delicate scent of good chocolate.
Calorie content of cocoa butter
The calorie content of cocoa butter is 899 kcal per 100 grams of product.
Cocoa butter chemical composition
The chemical composition of cocoa butter contains:
- amino acids,
- vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6, B9, B12, C,
- phosphorus and
If you are planning to buy cocoa butter please check out the best-recommended cocoa butter from below:Buy Now on Amazon Buy Now on Amazon Buy Now on Amazon
Benefits of Cocoa Butter for face
Cocoa butter is a very good moisturizer and has been in use for several hundred years. It is also rich in natural antioxidants. Cocoa butter has numerous benefits for your skin and has been known to be effective in treating acne scars and other body scars. Raw cocoa butter is also useful for tackling other skin issues like dryness and wrinkles.
In the following section, we will discuss the benefits of cocoa butter for the face. Cocoa butter does not oxidize for a long time and it makes cocoa butter pretty effective for the production of cosmetics. And the presence of amino acids in cocoa butter makes it chemically stable.
Now, let us discuss the benefits of cocoa butter for the face and why you should use cocoa butter for your skin:
Loaded with natural antioxidant
Cocoa butter is high in natural antioxidants. This aids to ward off any radicals that can damage skin in form of dark patches, wrinkles, skin aging and spots. Protecting the skin from day to day damage is very essential to keep the skin looking healthy and youthful.
Cocoa butter is anti-inflammatory
The anti-inflammatory property of cocoa butter helps reduce itchiness too. During dry seasons when the skin is red and itchy, cocoa butter can help immensely. It is believed to be a good reliever even for severe skin illnesses like psoriasis or eczema. As cocoa butter is anti-inflammatory in nature, it will calm your body so that any itchiness or dryness will subside quickly.
It reduces stretch marks and scars
Many women have claimed that regular use of cocoa butter during and after pregnancy keeps the ugly stretch marks at bay. Though these claims have never been scientifically backed but there are tons of stretch mark product in the market that use cocoa butter as its key ingredient.
Cocoa butter is a rich moisturizer
Cocoa butter has high levels of fatty acids and can hydrate the skin deeply. Filled with healthy fats and emollients, cocoa butter penetrates deep within the skin and nourishes it from inside. The high-fat content also makes it the perfect addition for body moisturizers, baby lotions and lip balms.
Check Out: 13 tips to keep your skin healthy
How to use cocoa butter for face?
You can apply cocoa butter to your skin once or thrice per day depending on the need. Using Cocoa butter helps to improve skin health and makes it more supple. It gives a youthful appearance to the face. Moisture, elasticity, and sun protection are some of the advantageous qualities that this product offers and keeps the skin looking healthy.
Pure cocoa butter can become very oily when kept in high temperatures. It is always a good idea to keep it in room temperature or in cooler places if needed.
And if you are planning to buy any cocoa butter products, then the using procedure will definitely change. In that case, we definitely recommend you to go through the directions that are provided with the product.
You can also check out: Cinnamon skin benefits
Cocoa butter for acne scars
Think about a situation: you do not have any cream. You are out of stock. Now what? What will you do? Just not to worry. Take some cocoa butter and use it on your face. It is fantastic because almost everyone can use cocoa butter for face.
But is it a remedy for acne scars? Yes. But how and why?
Why you should use cocoa butter for acne scars?
- Cocoa butter enhances blood microcirculation in the skin.
- It stimulates metabolic processes.
- Cocoa butter promotes collagen synthesis.
- It quickly restores skin firmness and elasticity.
- By strengthening the connective tissue and significantly improving the structure of the skin, it prevents the appearance of wrinkles, scars and stretch marks.
So, these are the reasons that works behind the magical work of cocoa butter when you use it on pimple scars. But now the question is how will you use it?
How you should use cocoa butter for acne scars?
- Massage pure cocoa butter in a circular motion over the scar.
- For best results, massage 2 or 3 times a day, for 10 minutes at a time.
- Also, try and use it when your face has been just cleansed and exfoliated so that your skin can really absorb it.
Cocoa butter can be bought from a store or ordered online. It is widely available and inexpensive. One can also order raw cocoa butter in large batches online if you prefer the DIY skincare route. There are two types of cocoa butter that can be bought:
The light yellow colored unrefined cocoa butter is simply cocoa butter in its rawest form. Pure and unrefined cocoa butter is hard at room temperature. You will need to warm the whole container or tub in a bowl of warm water before you can take it out or apply it to your body or face. Once applied it becomes soft and easy to spread as it warms up.
Things to know before using Cocoa Butter for face
- Cocoa butter is completely safe to use as long as you’re not allergic to the cocoa plant. Cocoa butter never has any caffeine in it despite being a part of cocoa plant.
- There are no studies that prove the benefits of cocoa butter. Yet over the years people who have used it vouch by it. In fact, the cosmetic expert’s say that they still don’t understand the ways that cocoa butter works on the skin.
- Cocoa butter is the organic fat derived from cocoa beans. Primary research shows that cocoa butter has a lot of prospective benefits for skin nutritionally.
- Cocoa butter is known to clog pores. So, use caution before applying cocoa butter to your face. It is best to be used on other parts of the body to keep it supple and soft. Use it in face only when you have a dry skin.
Top cocoa butters that you can buy for skin care
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula has many products that are really great for skincare. In this section, we will discuss 3 different products of Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula. They are:
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Skin Therapy Solid Lotion
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Swivel Stick with Vitamin E
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E + Q10 Firming Butter Body Lotion
All these cocoa butter products are great for acne scars. Let’s describe their features and other properties:
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Skin Therapy Solid Lotion
Palmer’s products are always best for your skin. And undoubtedly our second recommendation is also from Palmer’s. The properties that make it exceptional are as follows:
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Original Strong Jar offers deep hydration around. This exceptional formula melts into skin, creating a protective moisture barrier that locks in moisture.
- From normal to dry to eczema-prone skin, this emollient-rich strong effectively moisturizes and soothes, leaving skin smooth, supple and beautiful.
- Ideal for deep moisturization, including overnight remedies.
- Cocoa Butter: a rich, natural moisturizer that leaves skin soft and silky, transforming even the roughest, driest regions into buttery soft skin.
- Vitamin E: a powerful antioxidant that helps improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and imperfections on the skin, providing a more even and toned look
This product melts into the skin. Thus creates a moisture barrier. It smoothes skin. Another fantastic feature of this product is that it fights against pimple scars.
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Moisturizing Swivel Stick with Vitamin E
It is the most recommended cocoa butter for you. We can blindly recommend this product because:
- It is specially made to smooth and relieve dry skin.
- Palmer’s cream can also be enriched with vitamin E to effectively cure and soften, leaving skin supple and beautiful.
- It’s excellent for eczema-prone skin and also helps to smooth scars and marks.
- This item has no parabens and phthalates and comes in a pump bottle for effortless dispensing.
- Cocoa Butter: a rich natural moisturizer that leaves skin soft and silky, changing even the roughest, driest areas into buttery soft skin.
- Vitamin E: a potent antioxidant which can help improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and imperfections on the skin, providing a more toned and even appearance.
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E + Q10 Firming Butter Body Lotion
This product is specifically designed to restore your body. Mostly, pregnant women use this. It is also recommended for those who are having weight loss issues. It has:
- Cocoa Butter,
- Elastin and
- Shea Butter firms
These products help to improve your skin texture in a quick time. It has Co-Enzyme Q10 in it. It is an antioxidant that helps smooth and revitalize skin. So, undoubtedly, it is a great product for acne scars.Buy Now on Amazon
Ambi Skin Care Cleansing Bar – Cocoa Butter for Acne Scars
It Helps naturally moisturize skin. It helps visibly even skin tone with Cocoa Butter. Ambi Cocoa Butter Cleansing Bar goes beyond cleanup to moisturize and help you even out skin tone.
As it is very rich in cocoa butter, it helps to soften and smooth dry skin. Its creamy rich lather gently yet effectively washes away surface impurities to reveal smooth, clean even-looking skin.
- Sodium Tallowate;
- Sodium Cocoate or Sodium Palm Kernelate;
- Sodium Chloride;
- Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter;
- Titanium Dioxide;
- Tetrasodium Etidronate;
- Pentasodium Pentetate;
- Iron Oxides;
- Yellow 5;
- Orange 4.
Vaseline Petroleum Jelly for Dry Cracked Skin Cocoa Butter
Vaseline Petroleum Jelly has been used to help heal dry skin and can be good at locking in moisture. This skin lotion combines the skin recovery benefits of Vaseline Jelly, with cocoa butter, which is proven to nourish your skin. So, without any doubt, it is also one of our top recommendations. But let’s know a little about this:
- Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Cocoa Butter works to help cure dry, dull skin and give skin a radiant, wholesome appearance.
- It has been used to help heal dry skin and can be good at locking in moisture.
- Vaseline Jelly Cocoa Butter unites the dry skin recovery benefits of Vaseline Jelly, together with cocoa butter, that is proven to nourish your skin.
- Vaseline Jelly creates a protective barrier, to seal moisture deep within skin’s surface layers and also to boost the skin’s natural barrier healing.
- This item can also be made with cocoa butter, and this can be regarded as a fantastic moisturizer, particularly for especially rough areas like knees, elbows, and heels.
- Vaseline Jelly using Cocoa Butter is not just great for dry skin; it is also gentle on skin. Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Cocoa Butter is produced out of triple-purified oil jelly. Vaseline wonder jelly is also dermatologist tested and can be a skin protectant, meaning it will not clog your pores.
- These variables make it ideal for everyday use. Stop by the Vaseline site to find out about other oil jelly utilizes.
Hollywood Beauty Cream, Cocoa Butter
This cream is pretty interesting. The main feature of this cocoa butter is freshness. You will get it directly from the factory. For that packaging may vary.
- Cocoa Butter,
- Aloe Vera Extract,
- Purified Water,
- Paraffin Oil,
- Glyceryl Stearate Se,
- Isopropyl Myristate,
- Cetyl Alcohol,
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E),
- Fdandc Violet No. 4,
- Fdandc Yellow No. 5.
Queen Helene Hand + Body Lotion, Cocoa Butter
- As a famous cosmetic brand, Queen is offering a very much natural product which is rich in cocoa butter.
- The vitamins and emollient properties of this fantastic lotion lead to moisturize and soften your skin.
- It has pomegranate oil in it which helps it for its antioxidant protection against the skin-ageing effects. These effects happen due to environment.
- Queen Helene Hand + Body Lotion has essential oils in it that help to relax the tired muscles as well as ease the tension.
- Water (Aqua),
- Mineral Oil,
- Stearic Acid,
- Glyceryl Stearate,
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate,
- Propylene Glycol,
- Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter,
- Stearyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Parfum),
- Disodium EDTA,
- Diazolidinyl Urea,
- FD&C Yellow 5 (Cl 19140),
- FD&C Yellow 6 (Cl 15985),
- D&C Red 33 (Cl 17200).
- FD&C Red 40 (CI 16035),
We have taken reviews from hundreds of users and then come up this list of top cocoa butter for acne scars. You can use any of these and remove your pimple scars in no time.