If you’ve been thinking about starting a career as an EMT, there’s never been a better time to enter the field.
This article shares several reasons why now is a great time to become an EMT.
The EMT field is growing
Thanks to the pandemic EMTs are in high demand. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that EMTs and paramedics will be needed to fill an estimated 156,000 new jobs in the next 10 years.
There are many opportunities to get hands-on experience
There are many ways to get hands-on training in your field before you graduate high school or college. Many volunteer opportunities exist, and some high schools offer EMT courses.
If you want hands on experience consider:
- Taking volunteer EMT courses at a local community college
- Working as an assistant instructor for the EMT course you took in high school
- Volunteering at your local hospital with the Emergency Room staff
You can make a difference in people’s lives
EMTs are often the first responders to emergencies, and they can provide life-saving assistance before paramedics arrive on the scene. This job is so rewarding because you save lives. EMTs make a big difference in the lives of their patients.
There are great benefits for you and your family
Some of the top reasons why people choose EMTs as a career is because it offers good benefits, and the hours are flexible.
EMTs typically work 24-hour shifts, and they can choose to work part-time or full-time hours.
Additional benefits that you and your family can appreciate include:
- Pay is higher than the average hourly wage, and it isn’t capped like salaries for doctors or lawyers.
- You can work anywhere in the country.
- Your job prospects are good since there’s a high demand for EMTs.
- Because the hours are flexible, you can often do shift work that fits your family’s schedule.
- It’s a good way to get into healthcare
- You get benefits such as health insurance and 401K
You can work anywhere in the country
When you become an EMT, you can find a job anywhere in the U.S., whether you’re in a big city like New York, or the suburbs of somewhere like Phoenix, says Maxim Gorin.
It’s a good way to get into healthcare
Before starting school for another degree, consider getting your EMT certification.
For many people who want to work in healthcare, becoming an EMT is the perfect first step because it provides you with hands-on experience that can lead to a fulfilling career.
For many people who are interested in healthcare, becoming an EMT is a great first step to take.